Friday, August 18, 2006

Week in Review

Third day in and we're fading fast.

Oh, the first day? We were psyched! The kids all decked out in their new finery, hair straightened, smoothed, gelled. Cute little outfits with matching accessories and new shiny backpacks. The Mom's all walking to school in our nicest t-shirts, maybe with a sequin or two, matching sandals, earrings, makeup and fixed hair. I even saw a couple of mom's in heels. (Damn showoffs.) Dad's dressed in their work duds, going in late to see their kids off. Melee' zoomed up on his bike after school, yelling "FOURTH GRADE ROCKS!"

Today I had to tell Melee' if he didn't want to fix his hair or let me fix it for him, we were headed to the barber for a buzz cut today. I'm unclear as to whether his shirt was appropriate for the color shorts he had on, he is a boy after all, and anything goes can be considered a "style". He and Zoey were on their bikes and out the driveway before I even got to tell them "bye". That was after he yelled at me not to put his lunch bag in his backpack as I would squish his papers. (He had a suck-up note and cartoon for his teacher in there). When asked why he didn't have his red homework folder today he said "Oh, we don't use those anymore." Anymore. Since yesterday.

John is on a an all-out CAT-tracker streak. Day three and he's written something in his CAT-tracker everyday. It's an all time record. He got home and said it had been "THE BEST FIRST DAY EVER!" in his entire school career. He then regaled me with tales of their state of the art bus. Yep, seventh grade ROCKS, because they have air-conditioning and speakers on the bus. The amount of paperwork that boy has brought home for me to sign is unbelievable! We had three PAGES of instructions and such, just from the math teacher, which he wrote all in the third person.

As Mr. Smith checks attendance, write down the day's assignment in your CAT and work on your warmup.


As Mr. Smith reads them, write down the correct homework answers ...After he gives you the answers, Mr. Smith will give you an opportunity to ask questions (raise your hand).


Momma will consequently pull out all her hair and throw herself to the ground, moaning and groaning for the next ten minutes. After she's done, Momma will give you the opportunity to roll your eyes and pretend like you're not related to her.


Today I peeked out at the "big kids" waiting for the bus. All in their most comfortable t-shirts and shorts, hair in pony-tails or short, slightly brushed past "bed-head" hair, sitting on the curb with their head in their hands, yawning.


Oh what a difference two days makes.
Addendum : I just walked in to the living room and found John's Math Homework worksheet sitting forgotten on the wetbar. The hard homework that he didn't know how to do. The seventh grade homework that I don't totally understand myself. (Have I mentioned I hate math?) The homework that, after I explained to him how to do it, I then had to do myself in order to check his work, which turns out, was all wrong save one. The homework we probably in total worked on for over an hour. Sitting. Forgotten. I. Am. About. To. Start. Crying.
And now the school year has officially begun.

2 comments:

shpprgrl said...

Oh no! I hate when things like that happen. I think it will be ok.

yerdoingitwrong said...

ugh. I detest math as well. Take a big, deep breath girl!