Monday, August 21, 2006

I Could Use a Little Help Here

So this weekend I signed up for a fantasy football league. And you might be asking, "But Momma, why would you sign up for a fantasy football league?"

Well, at this time of year I'm always a "football widow". Not that I begrudge anyone their obsession of choice, it's just that since Troy Aikmen retired, I could give a hoot. So when my niece emailed and asked for everyone to sign up again this year, I thought why not? Besides right now I'm already a "work widow", so I better get my time in when I can.

So I went and signed up my team and named them The Cry Babies. I thought it would be funny if one of my brothers-in-law, or nephews had to say "Yeah, I got beat by The Cry Babies this weekend." And on the other hand if they say "I beat The Cry Babies this weekend.", well, who's gonna care?

The next hurdle however is the draft. As I was walking Charlie to his car last night, for his return trip to Austin, I asked "So, do I need to rank players?" He said "Yes! You've got to go and rank the players you want first so when it's your turn you get one of the ones you want. And I said "So I want a Quarterback first, right?" *

*All in-laws who are currently in The Bragging Rights League, please avert your eyes as strategy will now be discussed.

And he said "NO! Running back! It's ALL about the running back!"
"So like, Emmitt Smith was a running back, right? And Robert Newhouse, is that what he was?"
"Yes dear, and Tony Dorsett too. But those guys won't be on the draft."
"I know, I just was wondering, and what about Golden Richards, was he a running back?"
In his most patient voice, he said, "No. He was a wide receiver." (Or he may have said tight-end, I can't remember now.)
So we said our good byes and I might have gotten a little teary. After I got the kids in bed, I sat down in front of the computer, pulled up my players ranking list and called him on the road. Where he proceeded to give me tips and pointers for my draft list.

Now, when the draft is over and I get all the really good players and I start beating you guys, you might be tempted to say that I got help with my draft picks cause I cried and my husband felt sorry for me. Perhaps. Or maybe you're all just a bunch of sore loosers because you got beat by a Stay At Home Mom who doesn't know a running back from a wide-receiver.

Okay, that's my smack-talk for today, but seriously, can anybody help me out? Is Carolina's defense as good as Charlie says they are, or is he taking the good defense for himself?

6 comments:

me said...

Cardinals always look good on paper and then falter, me personnaly i would stay away from them. except for their offensive unit...they've got some good weapons on offense, except their qb. i keep meaning to join a fantasy league, but never do. good luck

me said...

oops i win idiot award...you said CAROLINA...duh...yes carolina is good on defense and offense...inn fact some people think they are superbowl bound...delete that last comment, because i am a moron!

but Momma said...

I hope you don't mind if I don't delete it, I may need that Cardinals info to look back at....:) Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I was raised on the NY Giants football. Loved it. And then the kids came along and I stopped watching.

Yes, a good running back is key as well as a fast wide receiver, but don;t forget about your defense. Without a strong Defensive line your team is toast.

Have fun!

Andreia Huff said...

You are so cool! and you are gonna win some HUGE shopping points from Hubby for this one! When the season is over, bring all that leverage down to Houston and I'll go with you to hit the mall!

SuperMom said...

Picture me, eyes glazed over, mouth agape.

Huh?

You lost me after, "...I signed up for a fantasy football league."