Thursday, August 03, 2006

Vacation Update

1. Left at 7:15

2. 30 minutes into the trip, Ace threw-up. Couldn't pull off due to traffic right away, finally got to a gas station and purchased Sprite and Crackers.

3. Ace ate potato chips and Sprite, feeling much better.

4. Ace barfed 45 minutes later, causing a full stop on the side of the highway, where Charlie and I had to jump out of the truck, like a chinese fire drill, grab him and the carseat out and start cleanup on the side of I-45. (You did? Yep that was me, cleaning puke off the carseat with babywipes.)

5. Charlie and I stood in a fire ant bed while trying to find new clothes for Ace to put on. (You did? Yep, that was me hopping around in the middle of I-45, slapping fire ants off my feet and ankles with my pink Old Navy flip-flops.)

6. Settled in for the 10 hour drive. (You did? Yep that was me leaning on Ace's carseat with drool coming out the side of my mouth, I was snoring too.)

7. Forgot to bring stickers for kids to pull off the headliner of the car to countdown every hour so I wouldn't have to say every five minutes, "No Baby, we're not there yet. It's gonna be a long looong time." "Like hours." "No, first there's lunch, then there's naptime and then when it's almost dinner time, we'll be there. No. NO. NO! You don't HAVE to take a nap if you don't want to. Quit crying. Stop crying now."

8. Stopped at the Taco Bell playland for lunch. Because with carsick kids, it just makes sense. Doesn't it?

9. Stopped in Chilicothe, at the most fly infested Dairy Queen of ALL time! Because I didn't want to go to the bathroom at the nasty Allsup's gas station.

10. Found the NICEST Super Duper Rest stop, provided by the Texas Department of Public Safety, complete with a kids playground. Two miles on the other side of Chilicothe.

11. Had more conversations regarding sniffing.
Peach: "Mom, whath's that thmell?"
"Rain."
Peach :"No that other thmell. The thtinky one."
"That's the smell of wet cows."
Ten minutes later.
Ace: "I DON'T LIKE COWS."
"Why?"
Ace: "They stinky."

12. WE'RE HERE!

13. Woke up this morning to the realization that I FORGOT TO PACK MY CHI!

14. Charlie saves the day by packing it for me. He's a keeper.

8 comments:

Bonnie B said...

My kids get carsick too. I have trouble keeping from getting sick when they all start "doing their nasty thing." CLeaning up with baby wipe is for the birds-- but it works:) I hope your trip home is better-- at least you'll have a great story to tell at barbeques.Plus, I think ALL rest stops should have playgrounds. How much easier would it be to go on trips! Then again, how much longer would it take to get to our destination?

ANd I loved your idea of using the stickers. I'm going to steal it.

Anonymous said...

A 10 hour car trip and a pucking kid. Lord, save me and praise you!

I am glad you are there safe and sound. And I've told you before, that hubby of yours is a keeper!

Andreia Huff said...

been there done that! What a bummer to have to ride with vomit. UUGH. Maybe that's why I havent been anywhere in a car with kids in a few years. God bless the trip home!

SuperMom said...

Fun times :-)

yerdoingitwrong said...

Oh man. What a trip!!! Glad you survived it.

Pollyanna said...

What a trip indeed! Lordy. Does Ace normally get car sick or was this a special thing for your 10 year, er I mean hour, trip? Glad you made it there safe and sound!

The Vinson Five said...

I just found your blog today and I must say I feel your pain. My 3 year old started puking on the way home from visiting my family for Thanksgiving. We had to stop and get a hotel room!!

but Momma said...

Not FUN! I'm so thankful we didn't have to turn around and come home, we had just left!

Thanks for the comment!