Sunday, August 27, 2006

Jet Ski For Sale

I've never been a big fan of the water. Maybe it was the fact that I grew up in the Panhandle, where pools were few and far between. Maybe it was the swimming lessons at the Y that my mom made me take when I was about six. I don't remember a lot of things about my childhood but I have a VERY vivid memory of the leafy swimming cap she made me wear to classes I didn't want to be taking, where people made me put my face under the water. Maybe it was her water phobia that I unknowingly inherited.

I remember after Jaws came out at the theaters, I started having nightmares about sharks in the swimming pool, bathtub and toilet. I didn't even see the movie. Didn't need to. Going to the Lake has always been ify business for me at best. I even had the opportunity to snorkel in Hanama Bay in Hawaii after I graduated High School. Five minutes of fighting off hyperventalating in knee deep water, and I swam right up to some idiot who was throwing bread in the water, next thing I knew, a school of fish swam at me and I shot three feet in the air and high stepped it to the beach in record time.

When John was eighteen months old, his Dad got a wild hair about a Jet Ski. We went to the dealer and as we're impulse buyers, we left with a three seater Tigershark 900. Although it seemed like a fun idea, I knew it was never gonna happen for me. The first time we went out to the lake, he drove and I rode with a vise grip around his waist, choking the life out of him. It was one of the scariest things I'd ever done. Then he let me drive.

I was a bad ass, or at least I imagined I was. I needed a tatoo because it was just like riding a motorcycle, only in the water where it wouldn't hurt if you fell off. I hauled, I swerved, I splashed, I sprayed, I had the time of my life. We packed up John and toys, and swim diapers and went skiing on the "play-play" as many weekends as we could for the next couple of years.

Life happens, three more kids and although we still have the Jet Ski I can't remember the last time we took it out to the lake. We've never taken the time to find a place around here to put it in. This weekend my friend emailed me this :

This picture was taken by a KTBS helicopter flying over Lake Conroe ! (For those of you who are not local, Lake Conroe is in Conroe , TX .) That has to be a HUGE gator to have a whole deer in its mouth! Are you ready to go skiing on Lake Conroe ?! If you ski at the west end of the lake -- try not to fall.




This man is 6'5" tall.

1997 Arctic Cat Tigershark Jet Ski with Trailer for sale. $600. Pickup only.

10 comments:

Andreia Huff said...

You better not be in Conroe because if you are, then I want to meet for coffee!

Bonnie B said...

Oh that is funny. That was one scary alligator.

You know, you should be proud because you played with the juet ski-- I'm not sure I'd get on it. I hyperventilated while snorkeling in Cozumel. I swear jaws is stalking me-- even in the shower.

Bonnie B said...

excuse me jet ski-- I'm a terrible typist.

but Momma said...

I'm even closer than that. I don't do coffee, but I here Starbucks does chocolate.

Melzie said...

ohhhhhhhhmigosh :) THat is scary for sure! xoxo melzie

Anonymous said...

Maine: The Way Life Should BE (official state motto)

Read: yes deer.
NO ALLIGATORS!
And Amen to that.

Anonymous said...

That is soo freaky! Is it really for real?

but Momma said...

I don't know, my husband says it has to be a fake. But are you willing to risk it? What if it was half that big ... a quarter? Dry land looks pretty good to me!

but Momma said...

Thanks mandamommie, cool website!

The Domesticator said...

OMG...if that is not reason enough not to jet ski on that lake, I don't know what is.