Saturday, August 05, 2006

Is Saying "I Told You So" Grounds for Divorce?

I predict that our drive home tomorrow will be a twelve hour affair, rather than the ten hour jaunt it was on the way up. Am I psychic you ask? Am I paranormal? Was I struck by lightning during the storm we had, while watching the outdoor musical drama TEXAS?

Nope.

Charlie got a ticket yesterday while we were on the way to take the kids to see Cars. Doing 58 in a 45. Because you don't just have to be in a hurry when making a roadtrip, you can be in a hurry Anytime! The kids were quiet in the backseat for the most part. Melee' kept whispering "Are you gonna get a ticket Dad?" Yes he's getting a ticket, because if he didn't, the Earth would slide off it's axis and they would be having snowball fights in .. the Sahara.

I tried to keep a neutral expression, really I did. I tried not to gloat, or say things like "I knew this was going to happen.", or "When are you gonna learn your lesson?", or "I told you so.". I've got a pretty good poker face, but I have to admit, I may have grinned just a little. And he'll tell you he didn't and try to act all puffed up about me saying anything, but he had to stifle a giggle.

Of course neither of us are going to be giggling when we've got to pony-up whatever the current ridiculous amount of money it takes to keep a ticket off your permanent driving record. But does cost really matter when you get to put one down in the Win column of the "I Was Right and You Were Wrong" book of Things We Kept Record of During Our Marriage?

5 comments:

Pollyanna said...

WEll, it does feel good to be right, doesn't it. :) One time, when Trent was a toddler, we were on the way home from a RELIGIOUS convention and Chad got a ticket. It was so embarrsing. The worst part was Trent told everybody we knew that his Daddy was speeding and got a ticket!

SuperMom said...

Okay, can I just say, cops in Texas are out to make each and every driver, righteous, law abiding citizens to the enth degree!! We lived in Texas for the first 7 months of our marriage. My husband averaged a ticket once a month, but sometimes they were closer together. One was for not using a turn signal...in town! Geez.

Andreia Huff said...

Maybe you could sign your husband up for some Indy racing fantasy trip or something to get it out of his system!

but Momma said...

Jodi- :) We're not embarrassed anymore. We finally figured out he's the one with the driving problem, not us.

Supermom- Yes, you can say. But it's not working for Charlie, I think they're gonna have to cuff him and rough him up a little.

Andreia - I have. It didn't work. He has a need .. A NEED FOR SPEED!

Bonnie B said...

Way to go you! I just had to smile. My husband got a ticket once and hopped I didn't find it-- but I did 70 in a 50-- it cost us a fortune. Where was he in such a rush to get to at 4 a.m.-- duck hunting.