Monday, June 19, 2006

Musings of the Heart

A bedtime conversation with a four year old Peach.

"Baby, why are you out of bed?"
After seeing her sad face I said, "What's wrong."

"I had this feeling in my stomach that you and Daddy were gone."
"Baby, Daddy and I aren't going anywhere, we would never leave you alone."

I laid down next to her and as she saw that I was somewhat settling in she said, "Now, Momma? Momma? Can I tell you twenty things?"

"Yes, you can tell me twenty things."

She proceeded to debate with me about her current placement in the car. Why can't she ride in the front? Why does she have to sit in a booster? She's not a baby and has strong bones. Why does Daddy let her sit in the front and I won't? Until I said, "O.K., that's enough about booster seats, let's talk about something else. Do you have some more things you want to tell me?"

"Yes. Momma, sometimes my heart.. it feels like.. well my heart.. sometimes feels like it's up here and then sometimes... it feels like it's up here in my nose."

"In your nose?" Trying to stifle a giggle.

"Yes..."

"Does your heart ever dribble out your nose?"

"No."

"Don't sneeze."

"Why?"

"I don't want your heart to come out."

"Well, sometimes when I'm asleep, boogies come out and crawl up into my eyes."


I wonder what twenty things she has to say tonight.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved this! Isn't amazing how their minds work? When my youngest was three she would have these huge tantrums because she said that she "missed God." Where did that come from? And how do you respond?

Pollyanna said...

SOOOOO cute. Do you think she was really worried about all that, she has some very grown up concerns, very sweet.

My kids are MASTER stallers when it comes to bedtime. Good Lord. Connor especially thinks of 100 things per night to get him a "get out of bed free pass". Drives me CRAZY.

Bonnie B said...

Oh that is precious.
My Abby (4) said "she was faster than a bumblebee." Your little one was precious, and Ashley she "missed God" How sweet.

Anonymous said...

SOOO CUTE!!! What a sweet post. I TRY to treasure those little moments with the kids. At least I have a blog where I try and write it all down so I WILL treasure the memories one day. LOL!