Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Career Choices

On occasion, when I’m feeling thrifty, and my kids are feeling lucky, they let me cut their hair. My husband is the brave person who started me cutting people’s hair without a license. I’ve thought about going to Hair Design School. Do I really have that much time on my hands? Do I have that much extra money layin’ around? Do I really want a job where people, who look like me, come in and say “I want my hair to look just like this.” as they hand me a picture of Julia Roberts? Talk about pressure. And let’s face it; I’m not really chatty when you get down to it. Sure if you talk to me, I’m totally gonna talk to you, but for it to be on my shoulders to keep a running dialogue for 30 to 45 minutes or so? I suppose I could bring the 4 year old to work with me and say “This is my daughter Peaches, she’ll be your chat-girl for today.” Do they tip the chat girl? They should. I really hate sitting silent in the chair while everyone else is having chit-chat all around me. Is it me? Do I smell? Should I say something first? And then to know that without a shadow of a doubt, they’re just going straight home to rewash it and restyle it because they hate the way you fix it. I don’t think I can take the stress of it all. I guess I’ll stay an amateur, but I picked out the name for my shop…


HILLBILLY HAIRCUTTERS
Where you’re always one drink away from a good buzz.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, you are so funny! I love the before and after shots!

I HAVE to buy a digital camera. Any recommendations?

Bonnie B said...

I think kids should all have their hair cut by mom because we know-- we know who likes to have their hair brushed in the morning and who runs from teh comb, we know who refuses to hair her hair washed and who likes to put every imaginable formula of goo into her hair. We know who it should be done.

I cut my husband's hair for other reasons-- talk about revenge. Of course last week he came home bald-- he tried to cut it himself. Now he looks like a serial killer.