Saturday, May 20, 2006

The Ebb and Flow of School

I spent the better part of yesterday crying because it was Peaches last day of Yellow Bear Class. I know what you’re thinking, I’m crying because I’m gonna have my four kids home with me for the next three months without so much as a day off, but you’d be wrong. Boy the hormones were flying!

I cried because I’ve never experienced a teacher who loved my kid so much. I cried because she loves her teacher so much. I cried because Ace is going to be in this class next year and the teacher is going to loose any respect she had for me.

We stopped by the grocery store for powdered donuts and cheese balls and I was feeling a little bit better.

Then I got home and had a reply from John’s teacher, who I had emailed almost a week ago to get an update in his Social Studies class. Instead of being helpful with answers and other how-to’s, she blew me off like she does every time I email her. And then I got pissed.

Good morning,

I do not have final averages yet, but I will have those next week. We are done in the notebook, so I will not be taking any more grades from that. The word scramble should help, but I have not factored that in yet. If you would like to email me next week to check on grades, I will have a better idea.

Thanks
XXXXXXXX

Was that helpful? NNNNNOOOOOO! If I wanted to know his final grade, I’d wait for the *&*&#%%^ report card! I want to know what we can do to prevent a smudge on our permanent record! And “Up your’s, because not only did we complete all the things in that notebook that were missing, we ironed the pages we found cramed in the bottom of his backpack!” The word scramble should help, but because I find your effort lacking, I’ll string you out for another week and see if you still feel like rolling the dice and emailing me next week, then I’ll check and see if I find you worthy of a response.

Ms. XXXXX,
Your ability to care less is overwhelming.

A tack on your chair,
John’s Mother

I understand he’s not the only slacker she has to contend with, but dammit, he’s a slacker with a mother that cares enough to shove him up the Mt. Fugi that is Middle School. Give me something. …so I sent a carefully crafted email to the school counselor to say “TTTHHHHPPPTT”.

2 comments:

Ashley Lasbury said...

I feel your pain! My kids are in a Waldorf school and they have the same teacher from 1-8th grade. It ends up feeling like the child has a 3rd parent. Of course, my 8 year old is not yet reading and I have to swallow hard when the teacher tells me that "he just needs more fertilizer before his garden grows."

Thanks for the help. Here's my next question: How did you put up a blogroll? Short of changing the HTML code, I am lost! BTW, thanks for mentioning me on yours. I'd like to return the favor! And what is your name? I promise not to tell...

Pollyanna said...

OHMAN. That bites. My 8-year-old has the best teacher this year. She is awesome. She returns emails within the day when i email her and she's so on top of things and wants my son to succeed as much or more than I do. LOVE THAT. And did I mention she loves my kid as much as I do and I were ever to die I do believe she would seek custody for herself! :) i am nervous for 3rd grade because i am sure lightning won't strike twice. She is such a GOOD teacher. And I know what you mean about your preschool teacher and worried about the class next year. My #2 son is starting K in the fall and he's sooooo unlike his brother ( 8 is a monster at home but a perfect perfect angel at school) & I know the teachers are gonna think I must have adopted one of them! :) 5 is a monster everywhere he goes and doesn't care who knows it. OY VEY.

And on to your dileama, since this is your blog and all. I think you should write a letter to the academic counseler, to the principal, to the superintendent, until you get someone to recgonize the agony you have had with this teacher this year. If she's treating YOU this way and you're so involved imagine how she treats kids of parents who don't give a hoot what's going on. Ya know?? Well HMPF. I am offended in your behalf....