Monday, September 11, 2006

September 11th


On September 11, 2001
I was standing in my living room in Forney Texas with the television tuned to Good Morning America. They broke into the broadcast with the news of an airplane hitting one of the Twin Towers in New York.
I thought for a moment that a small Cessna had hit the building. And as I stood there, trying to gain some kind of perspective, I watched the other airplane plunge into the side of the other building. Charlie had only been gone from the house for a few minutes and I called him immediately and he turned around and came home. John was already safely in his second grade classroom. Melee' who was then four, was occupied with breakfast and toys. And I continued to stand mesmerized in front of the television holding Peach, seven months old inside my tummy. Charlie came in and joined me and we watched horrified as the events of the morning played out across our television screen.
I cried a lot of tears that morning and in the days and weeks that followed. I said a lot of prayers. I didn't know anyone who was directly affected by this tragedy, that eventually affected us all. I can't for a moment pretend to understand the grief and the loss, it overwhelms me. I hope you'll join me today and read some stories honoring the people that lost their lives five years ago today. My friend Harmonica Man at View from the Cloud wrote a tribute to Denease Conely. It is a beautiful place to start.
And this post from my friend One Tall Mamma is a lovely way to end.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

We were both pregnant that morning. Did you wonder, as I did, what kind of world your child was being born into?

Jeff and Charli Lee said...

Thank you for sharing your reflections about that terrible day. Like you, I was stunned and saddened by everything I was hearing on the radio.

I am so glad that Mr. Roe has organized this project because I think it's important that these innocent people be remembered as actual people who had lives, with family and friends who loved them and miss them - not just another statistic on a list.

Thanks for mentioning my tribute.

but Momma said...

Absolutely. It was so surreal and so scary, and at the same time.

I still wonder that from time to time...

but Momma said...

It's an excellent project! It's so overwhelming as a whole. It is really nice to read about people one at a time and feel like you could extend your heart and pray for one person, one family that lost someone who was so important to them.

Thanks for participating.

Anonymous said...

I wrote one for you today my dear. I know you, of all people, will understand. Check out A Thought in Deed under my 9/11 post.

Bonnie B said...

I was five months pregnant and sick as a dog.
Thanks for sharing your reflections. I enjoy reading where people were and what they were doing at the time. It is amazing how much we all have in common.

yerdoingitwrong said...

Pretty crazy day that was, huh? I watched the recount of Flight 93 the other night and it was so difficult to watch. But, what heroes those people were!! I would only hope that I would have that kind of courage, but I'm not sure that I would. wow.