Saturday, July 05, 2008

Happpy Fourth!

Hope everybody is having a Happy Fourth of July and three day weekend! We went to the big fireworks show here in town last night. It's sad to say that our old neighborhood show outdid what the city did, but we're in the country now. We drove out to someone's recently mowed pasture and lined up with hundreds of other cars. I'm not a fan of fireworks, but I try to take my medicine for the sake of the pyromaniacs in my family. The kids got the folding chairs and parked them in front of the car and we spent the better part of an hour trying to keep Melee' and John from playing on a giant haybale.

A couple of other kids were climbing around on it and by the time it was over with it looked like I was watching an episode of Wipeout.



(Which by the way is my favorite new game show.) So we waited impatiently for the festivities to begin. When they finally started, Ace and I curled up in my chair and covered our ears. It was about three giant explosions into the show when he said, "The fireworks are falling on me!"
and sure enough, he was right. So here we sit, in the middle of a field FULL of halfdead and dry hay, blocked in from every angle by hundreds of cars, and firework debris is falling on us and around us, with no route for escape. Mommy was not a happy camper. Charlie says, "Oh, don't worry honey, that's what the firetrucks are here for." Thanks Hon, that calms my fears! Anyway, it was all over in about seven minutes, and nothing caught on fire. We went to the fireworks stand and bought a measly $30 worth of artillary and went and shot them off at the new house. (Afterall, we live outside the city limits.) Thankfully the other children in the neighborhood were shooting off ordinance and we have a giant dirt yard. Perfect for exploding thing on. We had so few and tame items this year, that I actually stood outside and watched. When it was all said and done, Ace went home crying because he didn't get to"'shoot" anything, sparklers and smoke bombs didn't do it for him. I've lost the last one to the darkside.

The BEST part of the day was that it was First Monday Weedend and we got up at six o'clock and went SHOPPING! I got four barstools, a "closet" for Ace, and some cool old hardware that I'm going to use for the pocket doors. We took them out to the house and admired the new COUNTERTOPS!!! Yes the COUNTERTOPS are in! And the powderoom shower is done and MAN does it all look SWELL! I'm going to compile some new pictures and give ya'll a peek on Sunday. We are getting down to the finish line. Fred says he needs two good weeks to get it finished. I have the electrician coming Monday, they set my airconditioners Friday (along with my countertops), I've got tile guys coming back next week for my backsplash and to finish my tub, and put down some tile at the front of the fireplace. I've got a mantle in the works, the tape and bed guys are coming next week to finish the fireplace surround and I have to go around with a roll of blue painters tape and mark everyplace in the house that needs texture touchup. They're coming to put in the septic system and to bury the propane tank. Then final grade on the front and backyard, and landscaping. Plumber has to finish out the toilets and fixtures, carpet, and some final paint touch-ups. And the list of things I have to check on is getting longer and longer!

Today we're headed to Maypearl to go to a birthday party and visit with my side of the family. It's a two hour drive so I've got to go find the dramamine. See ya'll LATER!

No comments: