Thursday, July 12, 2007

I Was Here and Now I'm Gone








I'm not sure why anyone would even be checking my blog at this point, but in the spirit of "Dear Diary"....

We've been back from Canton for almost a week now. We left to get away from the relentless rain only to find that it was relentlessly raining in Canton as well. Daddy says I'll have to go to Phoenix if I want to escape the rain. It was a nice change of scenery and we went to Bahama Mama's every day. This is one of the highlights for the kids, they love going to the Shave Ice stand, we pulled up to the window the first day and after I had determined what flavor everybody wanted I started ordering, "I need one baby Cotton Candy flat, one baby Cotton Candy, one baby Mudslide flat and one baby mudslide." As soon as I said Baby Cotton Candy, Ace started hysterical laughing in the back seat and yelling "Baby Cotton Candy! BABY Cotton Candy!" The girl craned her neck out the window and asked if everything was okay. Yep, we're easily entertained.

Charlie came for the weekend and I drug him to first Monday, where we looked at Arts and Craps and ate lot's of things on a stick. Then we drove to Forney to look at our old house, because we like to check back and see if neighborhood decay has set in. They actually had put a nice new fence around the place. Last time we went by, the fence had fallen down and they had a trailer chained to a tree. (Nice..)

We took the kids to the Tyler Zoo and it was a lot of fun, right up until we lost Ace. You know when you lose your kids for just a second in the store and second by second the panic raises just a little, because deep down inside, you know they just ducked into a clothes rack, but the panic guy inside just keeps watching the clock and raising the dial? Well I got all the way to level red when I had to go into the cafe and start the procedure for a code Adam. And why is it in a panic situation, you can never remember what your own kid is wearing, or looks like in any way, or for that matter, remember that you have a digital picture of him that you took a minute and a half ago, before he went careening away from the giraffes? I was halfway through my discription when they ran in to tell me they found him. The whole time we're walking around trying to find him, I've got Peach by the hand (because By-God, I'm not gonna loose two in one day!) and she keeps talking the whole time. Things like "Is Ace gonna be lost forever? What are we gonna do if we can't find him? Did he go in with the elephants? Are we gonna go home if we can't find him? " And as the seconds wear on, I keep telling the panic guy to "SHUTUP!", but I'm afraid that's what I'm gonna say to Peach....




















Good times.

He took a wrong turn as he was coming down the path to see the giraffes and he was just as scared as we were when we found him. He was crying and saying "Momma, I was looking for you everywhere and I couldn't find you." Heartbreaker! Don't ever tell me that kids on a leash is a bad idea, it's not. I'm just not confident enough to tell everyone to "Bugger off" if I were to use one and so I cave to the politically correct and let my kid get lost in the zoo. Politcally correct bastards!

We also went through a few model homes while we were in Forney, which we do for a hobby. But after looking at so many model homes over the last year, I came home and convinced Charlie it was time for a kitchen remodel. That was on the Friday that we got home. We went Saturday to price some things and by Sunday we were knee deep into a do it yourself countertop renovation. Here it is Thursday a week later and he just finished attaching all the counters and at midnight he is currently trying to get all my water reconected so that I can wash the week worth of dishes I have stacked in odd places all around the house. We're moving at the speed of Mount Rushmore, but Charlie will be an expert when we're done. He knows how to do all kinds of things I didn't know he knew how to do. He's in deep trouble now.


These are Before....I got so excited about ripping out the counters, that I forgot to take good before pictures.




And these are currently, note the fancy stainless backsplash behind the cooktop. Charlie got all the water running and nothing leaks! We're going to do tile backsplash behind the sink. I'm working on the pattern.....










More to come...stay tuned.
Tomorrow (I guess today), I'm meeting my Mom halfway to her house to switch Melee' for John. Each gets to spend a week at her house, so that she can share the joy that is my kids. I've had the talkers all week, it will be so nice to have Melee' back so we can enjoy a little silence together.

5 comments:

Musings of a Housewife said...

I'm still reading along! Good ol' bloglines lets me know when you have a new post up, random and sporadic though they may be. :-)

What great pictures! And your kitchen, so pretty.

Jeff and Charli Lee said...

Me too. Nice to *see* you!

Anonymous said...

I missed you - and yes, some of check daily for your humor! I always wondered about kids on a leash/tether until we had Erica. She ws the poster child for why they were invented! I LOVE the countertops. Can you send Charlie up here to teach Randall and thing or two??

Pollyanna said...

Yeah, I subsribe to ya too, so i know when you have a new post up! I'm still a reading. Your new counters look BEAUTIFUL. Be sure to be a post a pic of your all the way done new kitchen. AND are you watching Big Brother? Whatdaya think? HUH< HUH< HUH? Amber is driving me nutty with all her crying, but I thik it's gonna be a good season anyway.

Ann(ie) said...

I'm a stalker type blogger pal. Just FYI. You couldn't shake me if you wanted to!! =P