Sunday, November 23, 2008

Shaking My Fist. In a Really Polite and Ladylike Fashion.

Dear Editor,

In response to ***'s letter, I think Miss ****'s letter does a disservice to the unity that she seeks. I have a child in the band, one who plays football and two who are "undeclared" in their areas of interest and I support all their endeavors, as I know all parents do.

One of the things I admire about Canton is that they do care about so many things in which the kids participate, whether that be football, cross-country, FFA, drama or the band.

I take issue with the characterization that the band lacks team spirit. I see them playing their hearts out, jumping up and down and screaming from my vantage point in the concession stand. You see, most band parents who work in the concession stand to serve food to fans, don't get to see the fruit of their kids' hard work week in and week out as they take the field at half-time. There are not many Saturdays that the kids are not hoarse from screaming their lungs out at these games. We also get to see the disappointment they feel when their team loses as well as their joy when they win.

I can see that there may be football fans who share her view, and while I can't speak to why tailgating is not allowed, I would be surprised if it was to force anyone to eat the band's two dollar hot dogs and drinks. And I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their support of the concession stand as I was lucky enough to see how the money was spent on the kids' trip to State, in San Antonio.

You see, we're just proud parents. Whether our kids play quarterback, the clarinet, or receive an award for keeping their hands to themselves in the hallway for the first time, I'd like to suggest that we do support all Eagles. The American part is that we get to choose how we support them.

Eagle Fan,
Me

2 comments:

Jeff and Charli Lee said...

Good answer! I wouldn't worry that you offended anyone with that response... unless you're concerned about the crabby lady who wrote that first letter ;-)

Anonymous said...

What an awesome letter! Very well said! I am so glad that you posted these as I tried to find them online but had no luck. You should be very proud of what you said - and how ladylike you said it!!