Wednesday, April 02, 2008

My House Built of Sticks

This is what we found when we got back from Houston. I'll tell you right now, job sites are not for the weak at heart. I just want to pick everything up and stack it neatly somewhere. I'm loosing the game of picking up nails.


This is what it looked like when the entire first floor was done, before they started the roof.
The kids love to go out and look at their rooms now that they have walls. Well, everyone except Melee' who can't be torn away from his video games. I may have to put him in rehab when the house is done.

I broke a record this week by going out to the homesite three times in one day. This is so exciting! Charlie can hardly go to work everyday. He played hookie for half the day today. He went out to check on the cables this morning, the next thing I knew he was calling to tell me that they had not arched the doorways and did I want them to redo them. Today was not my day for decision making, I evidently woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning because the news sent me into a big cry. In the end they arched one of the doorways for me so that I could come look at it and decide what to do. I decided I wanted them arched and we stayed out there the rest of the morning chatting with the builder, the super, the framers and their boss. We went and picked up pizza for their lunch. (I felt so guilty that they had to change seven doorways, plus they were doing a fab job!) I had to decide whether I wanted the walls in the master shower to be full walls or half walls. Everytime I tried to get Charlie to tell me what he thought, he'd just "PHpppptt" and look at Calvin and Fred like "I don't know why she's asking me, I don't get a say...." That's ever so helpful. So I decided we would have one half wall and one full wall. How's that for decision making.




This was how we left it before lunch. By the end of today they were completely done..





This is the view of the back of the house. Those are the piles of brick laying all around. There are 13,790 and the guy who dropped them was not totally convinced that we had enough.
The fun continues....
Pray for clear, dry skies!

6 comments:

Musings of a Housewife said...

Wow, that's really coming along!!

Jeff and Charli Lee said...

Wow, how cool is that?!

That's a huge house. What is your total Sq/Ft going to be?

but Momma said...

The bottom floor is right at 3000 sq. ft. We're still trying to decide whether we can finish out the bonus room which is around 700 sq ft.

Ridiculus, yes. When you hear how loud my kids are? Not so much so.

Ann(ie) said...

WOW....that's going up fast!!! I'll bet you're excited, girlie! When's the partay?????

Jeff and Charli Lee said...

Very nice. I'm guessing you'll have lots of guest room for when I stop by ;-)

but Momma said...

Jeff, it's the entire REASON for the bonus room. If you, Charlie and the boys would like to visit the largest monthly flea market in Texas, I'm your connection. :)