Saturday, May 12, 2007

A Mother's Day Tribute to Me

As Karen and I walked into Mrs. Bell's section of the fourth grade mod, I realized we were expected to fold ourselves into two tiny rows at the back of the class to await the start of the "Mother's Day Program". After a few minutes of rearranging and squeezing ourselves in, as more mothers arrived, the substitute teacher apologized for Mrs. Bell's absence and said that the kids were ready with their program and would take it from there.

Sam started the program and it only took me a few seconds for it to register with horror, that the each of the kids would be reading aloud a letter that they had penned for us in honor of the day. As a group we shuffled around frantically for the kleenex box at the back of the class and I crossed my fingers as I sat on my hands and prayed "Please Lord, don't let my letter have TMI. Amen."

The following is my Happy Mother's Day Letter from Melee':

Dear Mom,

You have been kind to me for almost 11 years.

You always think of what I want. Like signing me up for baseball when I wanted to. You buy me things like video games. You always like me to be happy. You support my life.

Mom you have also been extremly cool through my life. You can take the heat of 5 children at one time. Another awesome trait you have about being cool is that your very modern style. My friends always like what I wear.

Helpfulness, is something you're great at. You help me on all my projects, especially the food project in 3rd grade. You also help me with problems, like when I had an inner ear infection.

I know for a fact that you're smart. You're the fastest thinker I know of. Plus you're 96% of the time right. You have a solution to every question or problem. Those things describe you.

Sincerely,
Jeremy

After the nervous laughter died down, I recieved my crepe paper flower and sighed with relief as another mother took her turn on the hotseat. It wasn't until later that I got to review my letter and take it all in. Not a bad letter all things considered, my kleenex moment was "You support my life.". You should have seen the mothers in the room, who know that I have four kids, do a 180 in their chairs at the mention of "you can take the heat of five children.". They don't know that I watch my niece in the afternoons. They must of thought I had one tucked away in the attic. And I love the fact that "my modern style" is all about him and has nothing to do with me. The kicker was "Sincerely".

Where's the love man!

I can see there's much work to do before next year's Mother's Day.

Happy Mother's Day to you All!

4 comments:

yerdoingitwrong said...

I love the 96%. heeeheeeeeeeeeee! Happy Mama's day to you, girl. I hope your beautiful family spoils you rotten.
xoxoxo.

Jeff and Charli Lee said...

96%! That's a pretty high batting average! What a great tribute to a great mom.

Happy Mother's Day!

Pollyanna said...

that is SOOOO funny. And sweet. And cute. And you rock.

Trent made me a card that said I was his "hero" and "really fun" because he had to come up with a acronym for mother. he took back the hero and really fun part when I made him unload the dishwasher though. :)

Ashley Lasbury said...

4th grade is fraction year!

I loved that letter. Did you cry?

My fourteen year old wrote me a letter for Mother's Day that had me weeping like a baby. She gave me permission to post it. Have tissue box handy if you check it out.

Happy Belated Mother's Day to you.