Saturday, February 28, 2009

Help!! We've Got the Flu and We Can't Get Up!

I must preface this by saying, we never get sick. That being said we've been sick more since we moved here just over a year ago. Evidently the country bugs are a little hardier than the city bugs.

It all started three weeks ago. Yep, three weeks ago. In my last post I outlined the start of it and ended the post with Ace having a fever on Sunday. I sent Peach to school on Monday as she had been fever free most of Saturday and all of Sunday. At one o'clock the school called and said she had a fever of 103. We ran over and picked her up, went to CVS to restock medicines and bought a vaporizer. Back home medicined up, then Momma started feeling bad. I had to call in the Nanna troops again and she picked up the boys and we started to prepare for them to stay the night with her because I wouldn't be sending anyone little to school the next day. By Tuesday I had developed the cough. On Wednesday about 30 minutes after I got up the fever rolled in and I spent most of the day immobile and on the verge of tears. I spent the entire day unsuccessfully trying to control my fever. I have never felt so miserable in my whole life. I can say without a shadow of a doubt I have never had the flu before. On Thursday I sent Peach back to school because I'm basically going to be homeschooling her for the next week in addition to her regular school work. As the day wound down on Thursday I knew I was going to have to go to the Doctor my cough came back and I felt like I couldn't breath. I was only able to sleep 40 minutes total that night, four different sessions of ten minutes. I could not lean back without having a coughing attack the only time I was not coughing was when I was leaning forward. Friday after Nan took the boys to school, she came by and picked me up and took me to the Direct Care Clinic I signed in seven minutes after they opened and the place was already packed. After an hour and fifteen minutes I was in and minutes later having a breathing treatment. Evidently there are medicines for the flu but they have to be taken in the first 48 hours. And either I've developed asthma or my body decided to react like I had asthma and I was having bronchial spasms. They sent me home with an anti-biotic and some Prednisone. After the breathing treatment I felt much better and he said after I took my medicine I would be feeling better in about 6 to 8 hours. I was still sort of in a daze and so I didn't ask alot of questions like, "What if I don't feel better in 6 to 8 hours?" or "What if the crackling noise comes back when I breath?". So Mom picked me up and deposited me back home and I took a shower and tried to stand up every once in a while. Mostly because my ass hurt from sitting in a recliner for the last 300 hours and I thought I was going to be able to sleep because I hadn't had but about 2 and a half hours of sleep out of the last forty eight, but could I sleep. NOOOOOOOO. At four o'clock the crackle started to come back. NOOOOOOOO! I changed the flu infested sheets (first time in a week) I put some towels in the wash. Because evidently when you start to feel a little better, your able to smell your own stench. I called Charlie and said "You're coming home straight up at 5:00, right?" Because evidently the second thing that happens when you start to feel better is that you realize you haven't eaten anything solid in over 36 hours. And the crackle started to get a little better as I got closer to the 8 hour mark. So Charlie hit the door with the little's, my dinner, and two movies. I devoured most of my food, and then decided I was going to see if I could sleep as my temperature was on it's way up. I intended to take some NyQuil to put the final kibosh on the coughing and to put me down for the count, but the Prednisone came with a healthy list of don'ts so I lowered the ante to two Tylenol P.M.s. And although I still coughed some through the night and woke up twice and found myself sweating like an ape, I can say for the most part, I had a nights rest. At about 1:00 today, Ace climbed up in my lap and had a fever. Charlie is now on his way to the Direct Care clinic with him.

I haven't been at the helm of my ship for a week. And what under normal circumstances should have been a week's HOLIDAY, was actually one of the Worst Weeks Ever. Charlie is ready for me to be better, he says he sucks at being a Mom. Mom had to bring John over for some books Wednesday afternoon and when they were on their way back to her house and he let out a big sigh and said "I feel better now." "What?" Nan said, "I feel better now that I've seen Mom." That old toughie. I still have the will to live. Just barely.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I feel your pain! Don't feel bad about missing the flu medicine that's supposed to help in the first 48 hours. It's hit or miss on whether it helps everyone. Also, Ethan took it last year as a preventative when I had the flu ($75 per Rx, mind you, with insurance!!) and he still got the flu. Last year we didn't get the flu shot, and two if us got the flu. This year we did get the darn shot and two of us still ended up with the flu! Next year, no shot! I hope you all have seen the last of this for a long time!

but Momma said...

Well, I feel more enlightened and hopeless! I am making my second trip to the Dr. in ten minutes. My third day on medicine and I'm still running a fever and I feel like shit.