Monday, May 04, 2009

I'm NOT READY!!

Melee' jumped in the car Thursday and said, "Mom, I've got to tell you something." Usually that's followed by, "I forgot my lunch box." or "I got a 79 on a test today." or something else from the "goodie-two-shoes file". So when he said, "I want to go to the dance tomorrow night. And you can't tell John, but I asked a girl to the dance." you can't imagine my shock and awe. John's in the 9th grade and he still hasn't asked a girl to a dance. This was NOWHERE on my radar.
"Ub-a-dee, uh, um...does that mean we have to pick her up?"
"No Mom. (roll of the eyes) That's like college!"
"oh."
"I'm not gonna tell you how I asked her, because that's personal."
"Okay, I'll just assume you passed a note during class."
"Well, yeah, but I'm not gonna tell you how I asked."
"That's cool. (Thinking, thinking, processing, processing.....) Is this a "girlfriend" thing?"
"Well, I asked her to go out with me, but she just broke up with a boy and she's not quite over it yet."
(Having a stroke...) "By "going out" do you mean "going steady"?"
"Yes. (More eye rolling) But I don't want you to say anything in front of anybody."
"10 - 4."

Of course he didn't have anything to wear to a dance, and I had to scramble Friday to find him something. Does he need a wallet? Does he pay for her to get in the dance? Should he spring for a soda and a candy bar?

I may as well have asked a girl to the dance.




He was way less nervous than I was. He gets points for bravery, cuteness and just being a very good boy. Oh, and if this could just stay between you and me, he'd like to keep this on the D.L.

1 comment:

Jennifer P said...

OMG - he is a cutie! That's one lucky girl.