Thursday, June 25, 2009

Indiana Ace and the Tower of Terror


Day two at Disney started with a trip to the Indiana Jones ride. At the end of day one, we agreed that that particular ride was the number one thing we wanted to do that we were unable to get to. Despite the fact that I had read all about Fast Passes, we really didn't figure out how to work the passes until it was too late in the day. By the time we got to the Indiana Jones ride the wait time was 2 hours or you could get a Fast Pass and come back and cut to the front of the line between 11:30 p.m. and midnight...

Ace could hardly wait! It was all he could talk about. The line was short and the next thing we knew we were exploring the temple and getting in line to take our ride. It was exciting and bumpy and Charlie tried his best to take a picture of us as we bumped and turned through the tunnels. This is our favorite picture of the entire vacation. The eye says it all...


Despite the look of terror, he loved it! Later as Peach and I were waiting in the Princess line, Charlie texted me that he and J and A were riding the Tower of Terror and E and M were gone to do something else. I looked at the text and put my phone back in my pocket. About 15 minutes later I realized what I had read and I called him back and said, "Did you just say ACE rode the Tower of Terror?" "Yea! He LOVED it!"

(The Tower of Terror is the "Elevator" that goes to the top floor and plummets back down to the bottom.) When we met up with the boys it's all he could talk about, "Momma, you HAVE to ride the Tower of Terror!" "Well, I don't know if the Tower of Terror is for Momma." "You'll like it!" "Well, I don't think I would like it." And he went on and on for the rest of the day. Later as we got close to that side of the park they decided to go get some Fast Passes for it and Charlie, John and Ace were pushing for Melee' and I to ride it so I said, "You can get me a pass, but I'm not guaranteeing that I'll ride it." But the three Tigger's persisted and the two Eeyore's were talked into riding.

We were standing in line with an older couple who were riding with their son who had some type of disability, she said "Oh, we rode this at Disney World and he just loved it!" and I saw some other kid in a wheelchair who was being pushed into line and I thought. Well, surely I can ride this ride if it's not too scary for kids with disabilities! And if that old broad and her husband can ride it, so can I! So we get in the "elevator" and I'm sitting next to Charlie, but separated by an isle, Ace is sitting on the other side of me and I'm trying to think about how I can hold on to him, but not crush him if I hold on too tight. Ace held on to my arm, I held onto the handle with one hand and clutched Charlie's hand to my chest with his arm outstretched over the isle. The "elevator" goes up and drops a little and then back up and down just a touch and then all the way to the top where you can see outside and then all of a sudden, you're plummeting to your most certain death. I screamed so hard that my throat hurt, we went up and down like that three times, each time I screamed like a girl and when it came to it's final stop I said "Oh, God, please let that be the last time!" and Ace said, "I think it's over Momma." and Charlie said, "You can let go of my hand now." (I think I left fingernail marks.) As I shakily unbuckled my seat belt, Ace hopped in front of me and said, "See Momma. I told you it wasn't scary." I could have punched that boy. John said "That was YOU screaming? I was looking around for a teenage girl!"

Thankfully for Melee' and I, there is no picture to show you of the Tower of Terror.

No comments: